This post should be subtitled "What ever possessed me to do that?"
The Meljen's Designs challenge this week is 3-D elements for a card and when I saw this cute little bear I knew exactly what I wanted to do.
I printed the sick little bear out several times - my main image and then a few additional times for layering/piecing. I roughly cut out the blanket (after coloring) from one of the "extras" and layered it on another scrap piece of CS to make it more sturdy. (Here comes the possessed part...) I then poked 2 holes in each of the "X's" Melissa had on the blanket. At this point I thought I had better look up french knots on the web since I haven't done them in probably 20 years, then I tied french knots in each set of holes. My old eyes were not happy with me by the end but I love the way it looks. (With his green and gold blanket, I think this little bear is a Packer fan.)
I layered/pieced his cold pack, hand and feet to add extra dimension. I wanted to make the tissues look more real and decided what would look more real than actual tissues. I cut a small square out of a clean tissue. Since it was 3-ply, I wadded up 2 layers and glued them down for the "used" tissues. I made a little slit in the tissue box with my craft knife and poked the end of the third piece into it and glued it down.
Here is a close up look at the details on the card.
Since I spent so much time on the front of the card, I thought I had better pretty up the inside too so I used this Get Well sentiment freebie from Melissa's blog.
So what do you think?
Thank you for looking. Please stop by the DT blog to see what the rest of the team is up to and jump in on the challenge.
STORE UPDATE: The new Meljen's Designs digi shop is now up and running again! It is now fully re-stocked and ready for instant downloads. The Meljen's Designs Etsy Shop will be closing today so please be sure to update those bookmarks.
As a side note, I was very excited to find out my card using Meljen's Designs Toadstool Buggies was one of the top 6 picks for Mojo Monday sketch #133. Woohoo!
- Image: Sick Little Bear & Get Well sentiment by Meljen's Designs
- Papers & CS: Close To My Heart Emporium paper pack, Georgia Pacific CS, Stampin Up white CS
- Inks: none
- Tools & Embellishments: tissue, button, DMC floss, needle, prismacolor pencils & OMS, Sakura Gelly Roll clear glitter pen, pop dots
- Techniques: faux stitching, 3-D, french knots
- Aly's Sunday Challenge - ASC15 - buttons
- Card Patterns - Sketch #59
- CCEE - Get Well
- Corrosive Challenge - #59 Texture
- Crafty Card Makers - #18 Challenge yourself
- Crafty Creations - #62 paper piecing
- Crazy Challenge - Don't call me flat
- Cute Cards Thursday - #108 Touch Feely (texture)
- Digital Tuesday - Paper piece with digitals
- Magical Crafts - #12 Animal Antics
- Paper Popsicles - Sewing (I used faux stitching and embroidery knots)
- Paper Take Weekly- Cutie Pie
- Secret Crafter - Get Well
- Stamp Something - Stitch Something
- Your Next Stamp - Stitching