This my first post as a member of the Sentimental Sundays Design Team. I am in awe of the creativity and talent of the ladies on this team. It will be fun to push myself to measure up to their talents.
We are already changing things up. The Sentimental Sundays challenge will now be weekly instead of bi-weekly. That will give you more opportunities to play along with us.
The theme for our challenge this week is "New Beginnings". I chose to make a card for the administrator of my daughter's school who will be retiring at the end of the school year. When my daughter gets teary-eyed about Mrs. Wright's eminent retirement, I remind her how happy we should be that she can retire in good health and at a young enough age that she will be able to enjoy herself. Her retirement is the beginning of a new stage in her life; one I hope she enjoys. It is also a new beginning for the school with a new administrator.
The card above is actually the second card I made. In case it is difficult to read, it is a quote from Catherine Pulsifer that says, "Retirement may be an ending, a closing, but it is also a new beginning" and typed into and printed using Word. I decided to use some different papers and brighter colors on the remake because my husband said my first card looked too much like a sympathy card. (You can see it below). On both cards I tried the ruffled ribbon technique. It was the first time I tried it and I really like how it looks. (Although the shape of the yellow ribbon keeps reminding me of my Swifter duster.... Maybe that is just my subconscious telling me to dust. )
Here is the original card. Since my mojo has been lacking all I did is switch up the papers while leaving everything else pretty much the same.
Since I really don't need retirement cards too often, I remade the original card into a Sympathy card using a sentiment from Lindsay's Stamp Stuff Leaf Prints digital stamp set.
I hope you will join us for the Sentimental Sundays challenge - New Beginnings. Stop by the blog to see all the eye candy from the DT and get your free "New Beginnings" sentiment set.
Thank you for looking! Have a great day!
Challenges for these cards:
- Bee-Crafty - Something New (Retirement is a new stage of life)
- Card Positioning Systems - CPS166
- Crafy Ann's Challenge - Anything Goes
- Crafty Catz - Petals & Pearls
- Digi Doodles Shop Best - Ribbon
Supplies for Retirement card:
- Images: Retirement quote from futuryears.com and printed using Word
- Inks: Stampin' Up Summer Sun
- Papers & CS: Stampin' Up white CS, Georgia Pacific CS, My Mind's Eye Home paper pack, misc. black
- Tools & Embellishments: Prismacolor marker (to color ribbon), misc. white ribbon, EK Success flower punch, Martha Stewart leaf punch, misc. pearls, Spellbinders Nestabilities
Supplies for Sympathy card:
- Images: Sympathy sentiment from Leaf Prints by Lindsay's Stamp Stuff on mygrafico.com
- Inks: None
- Papers & CS: Stampin' Up white CS, Georgia Pacific CS, Close To My Hear Silhouette paper pack, misc. black
- Tools & Embellishments: Bic marker (to color pearl in flower center), misc black ribbon, EK Success flower punch, Martha Stewart leaf punch, Pearl Glimmer mist, misc. pearls & gem stones, Spellbinders Nestabilities